Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This soup is chunky, hearty, almost a vegetable stew. Serve with crunchy bread or rolls. Freezes well.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole tomatoes (cut tomatoes in half)
- 1 (46 ounce) can V8 vegetable juice
- 5 -6 cloves crushed garlic (optional)
- 2 -3 tablespoons instant chicken bouillon granules or 2 -3 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can red kidney beans (or beans of your liking)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can creamed corn or 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can canned corn niblets
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can peas (or handful of frozen peas)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can French style green beans (or yellow or whole or cut)
- 1 head broccoli, cut into short spears and cut all heavy stems into slices
- 1⁄2 head cauliflower, cut in chunky spears, bite size
- 1⁄2 rutabaga (cubed or julienne)
- 2 -3 carrots, thin bias-sliced
- 1⁄2 head celery, cut into 1/2 inch slices including leaves
- 1 Spanish onion, cut in half, slice each half into 1/2 inch slices, break up
- 1⁄2-1 whole cabbage, shredded into 1/2 inch strips
- Emptied stewed tomatoes, tomatoes, tomato sauce and juice into stockpot with juice.
- Put chicken or beef instant granules into hot water, whisk to mix, needs to be strong, add to the above.
- This is the the base for the soup (If you wish,make it vegetarian, leave out the instant granules and add another can of tomato sauce).
- Add the soup ingredients to base in a stockpot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Boil 5 minutes.
- Turn to low simmer for 1 hour.
- If desired, pre-cooked pasta or rice may also be added.
- Note: Do not add salt without tasting, there is enough in cans.
- Note: Quantities are whatever you want, you can use 6 cans or 12 cans or pounds and pounds of fresh veggies, all fresh or all canned, or both combined, just about any kind of veggies.
- Always keep the veggies chunky, they look better and don't cook away.
- Left over cooked veggies can be used, make base and add precooked veggies, do not boil, warm up only.
- The stewed and canned whole tomatoes, sauce and V8 form the base with the beef or chicken broth.
- If you increase/decrease the veggie quantities you must increase/decrease the base quantities accordingly.
Absolutely supremo!!!!!! I used beef boullion granuals with hot water in the base. The veggies reduce size during cooking.
This was very yummy, but didn't have any left to freeze.
Made this recipe for a family get together OH MY!!! ...it was all gone in an hour. everyone wanted the recipe. I froze some on the second batch it was still great. It taste like campbells veggie soup. Will make this again. thank you..