Southern Tomato Veggie Soup
photo by jdnunn_13097731
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 74 ounces canned tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 medium vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs stew meat (or cubed top sirloin steak)
- 3 lbs white potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh green beans (or frozen)
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh corn kernels (or frozen)
- In a large stockpot, combine the tomatoes,broth, tomato sauce, onion, celery, carrot, basil, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer.
- In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add meat and cook until browned. Add to tomato mixture and simmer until meat is tender, approximately 1 hour. Add potatoes and simmer for 10 minutes. Add green beans and corn and simmer another 5-6 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, in California. I am now a stay at home mom after trying desperately for 9 years. With the love and generosity of my sister-in-law who acted as our surrogate we now have a beautiful little boy, Ian. I love to camp and go jet skiing with my husband and our families. We have a wonderful chihuahua named Swiffy! She is always making us laugh. We enjoy spending time with our many nieces and nephews. I am an avid reader and I'm addicted to reality television!</p>