Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A savory, chunky tomato vegetable soup, perfect for those cold winter evenings!<br/> Apologies for the large quantity, I live in a HUGE family and we love leftovers!
- 1 1⁄2 cups of diced yellow onions
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups of diced potatoes
- 2 cups of diced carrots
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery
- 2 cups kidney beans
- 2 cups black-eyed peas
- 2 1⁄2 cups corn
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (12 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- Saute onions with olive oil, salt, and pepper until translucent.
- Set aside.
- Dice potatoes, carrots, and celery.
- Set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, whisk chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, and tomato past until smooth.
- Add vegetables and stewed tomatoes.
- Simmer on LOW for 30-45 minutes, or until carrots and potatoes are soft.
this is a very flavorful soup and we loved it. I made only minor alterations in the recipe as I added 2 cloves of minced garlic to the soup and I reduced the chicken broth to 6 cups instead of 8 simply because I really like the flavor of tomato and I just realized I forgot the corn. I will try it next time with the corn but it was delicious without it. Thanks for the post Shakespearette it will be made often in this household.
Great soup recipe! I did have a little cabbage in the fridge that needed using up, so I threw that in, as well. I figured everything else was in it, why not! Thnx for sharing your recipe, Shakespearette. Made for PAC Fall 2009.
i thought it was good.