Hearty Spicy Tomato Vegetable Soup
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans
- 2 carrots
- 1 cup beans, cut into inch long pieces
- 1 leek
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 small Spanish onion
- 1 small ripe tomatoes (optional)
- 1 (12 ounce) packet soft tofu
- 1 cup strained tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Wash and drain pinto beans.
- Peel and cut carrots into inch long pieces.
- Mince garlic, dice leek and onion.
- Saute leek, onion and garlic in the olive oil. When the leeks and onion become soft, add the carrots and beans, saute for about five minutes. Add the spices and salt. Then add the beans and the strained tomatoes. Mix well for about a minute, then add the broth and the water. Bring to boil.
- Simmer the soup for about 20 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked.
- Dice the tomato and the tofu. Add to the soup and simmer for about 5-10 minute.
- Take the soup of the heat. Add the lemon juice. Garnish with few sprigs of fresh cilantro. Serve hot and enjoy!
Join The Conversation