Ghana Salad from Zoe's Ghana Kitchen
photo by Genius Kitchen
- Ready In:
- 200 g whole fresh sardines, scaled, gutted and washed, or substitute canned
- 200 g fresh tuna steaks, or substitute canned
- 1 round iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 4 tomatoes, deseeded and sliced
- 2 red onions, finely sliced
- 175 g green beans, topped and tailed, sliced and steamed, then chilled
- 100 g fresh garden peas, lightly blanched, then drained and chilled
- 200 g drained good-quality canned organic cannellini beans, chilled
- 150 g smoked salmon, cut into strips or 150 g substitute flaked canned salmon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 4 -6 large eggs, soft-boiled, shelled and quartered
- salad cream or mayonnaise, to taste
- Preheat the grill to medium. Place the sardines and tuna steak on the grill rack and grill for 10 - 15 minutes, turning halfway through the cooking time. Leave to cool, then chill in the fridge before adding to the salad.
- Place the lettuce, tomatoes and onions in a large bowl, then add the green beans, peas, cannellini beans and smoked salmon.
- Flake the grilled tuna and add to the salad, season with the sea salt and black pepper and mix together carefully. Add the grilled sardines and garnish with the soft-boiled egg quarters.
- Cover and chill before serving. When ready to serve, dress with salad cream or mayonnaise to taste and serve with warm toasted baguette, ciabatta or hard dough bread.
- I used to drown my Ghana Salad in salad cream – guilty pleasures – but if you want a healthier option, make a vinaigrette of 3 parts olive oil to 1 part balsamic vinegar and season with sea salt and black pepper, then add to the salad before serving.
- Hard dough bread (also known as 'butter bread') is a white loaf that is slightly sweet. It can be bought sliced or unsliced.
- Recipe courtesy of Zoe's Ghana Kitchen by Zoe Adjonyoh. Get the book here: https://www.amazon.com/Zoes-Ghana-Kitchen-Zoe-Adjonyoh/dp/1784721638.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hungry for good food AND great conversation? Food.com boasts a smorgasbord of over 500,000 recipes and a community-inspired activity feed that allows our users to add reviews, tweaks, questions and photos to their favorite recipes. Grab a plate and join the fun!