Recipe by kathy.cholewa
Hearty tomato soup with meat or cheese tortellini The soup is a meal in itself, serve with crusty italian bread or rolls
- 1 large onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- 2 cups Baby Spinach or 2 cups frozen spinach
- 2 cups diced tomatoes or 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried hot chili peppers (or more to taste)
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf, torn
- 2 cups tortellini (fresh or frozen)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large post saute the onions and garlic until transparent. Add celery, red pepper, tomatoes and corn; cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and chicken stock; bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer; add the spinach, salt, pepper and dried spices. Let this cook for a few minutes so the spinach wilts.
- Add the fresh basil and the tortellini; let cook for about 10 minutes more or until the pasta is cooked.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese (optional).