Recipe by Hey Jude
This outstanding soup recipe is from the Front Street Brewery in Wilmington, North Carolina. It's quick, easy and SO delicious!
Top Review by Chef Shadows
This turned out grand! I love stilton cheese and tomatoes, this soup has gone into my cookbooks. I used a burgundy wine since that is what I had on hand. Thanks for a wonderful recipe
- 1 (28 ounce) canwhole tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2⁄3 cup crumbled Stilton cheese or 2⁄3 cup other blue cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place tomatoes with their juice in a medium bowl; crush tomatoes well, into small pieces, with a potato masher.
- In a 3-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add onion and celery; cover and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomatoes, broth, wine, sugar and thyme; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes until vegetables are very tender.
- Stir in cream and 1/2 cup Stilton; heat through but do not boil. Ladle soup into 6 soup bowls; sprinkle with pepper and remaining Stilton.