Broccoli and Stilton Soup
photo by Leggy Peggy
- Ready In:
- 12 ounces fresh broccoli (may sub frozen florets)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 leek (chopped)
- 1 small potato (cut in sml chunks)
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons double cream (heavy cream)
- 4 ounces Stilton cheese (crumbled, may use the other British variety of Blue)
- salt and black pepper (to taste pref)
- Break broccoli into florets & roughly chop any tough stems. Set aside 2 sml florets for garnish.
- Melt butter in a lrg pan & cook the onion & leek till soft, but not caramelized. Add broccoli & potato, then pour in the stock. Cover & simmer for 15-20 min, till tender.
- Allow to cool slightly, then puree the soup in a blender or food proc. (I will use my immersion blender for this). Return soup to the pan.
- Add milk + cream, season w/salt & pepper to taste pref & reheat gently. At the last moment, add Stilton cheese & stir soup till the cheese just melts. DO NOT BOIL.
- Cut reserved broccoli florets into thin slices. Ladle soup into warmed bowls & garnish w/sliced broccoli & freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am an American transplanted from Dallas to Iceland by marriage to a native Icelander & I retired to become his "Kitchen Queen". We love to entertain our family & friends, so I have an eclectic collection of recipes. I especially love simple, easy-fix, flexible & make-ahead recipes - BUT also like challenging myself on occasion. I enjoy baking & food photography. I am devoted to the "More is Always Better Principle" & apply it liberally to bacon, butter & garlic. I can have ingredient issues due to availability here in Iceland & my DH is medically diet-restricted from some ingredients as well. Either situation might require me to modify a recipe, but I will do my best to be true to your recipes & fair/honest in my reviews. Mary Pat (aka twissis)