Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a truly wonderful tomato sauce. Simple and very Italian :)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomato puree
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons oil, olive preferred
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese or 1⁄2 cup locatelli cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Get a pot that will be large enough to hold ingredients. Put pot on stove on medium high heat. Add oil to pot and allow to heat up.
- Sauté garlic and onions for approximately 5 minutes, enough for onions to become soft.
- Put puree and paste into pot. Take puree cans and fill with water and pour water into pot. Stir well.
- Add parmesan, parsley, basil, salt and pepper and stir ingredients inches.
- Wait for pot to come to a boil, cover and lower to medium/medium low so that sauce is gently boiling.
- Cook, stirring every 15 minutes for approximately 3 hours. Taste sauce to see if cooked. Will be complete when it doesn't have a sour taste to it.
- For thicker sauce, boil at a higher rate and stir frequently.
This got rave reviews at our house. I served it with chicken parmesan by same person and fettucine noodles. I made extra to freeze for next time. Oh yeah, I did this in my crockpot and let simmer in there for about 4 hours.