Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This pie is absolutely fabulous. When I make it to sell at my market it flies off the table! My Mother found it an old community cookbook. I prefer to make it with full fat cheese and mayo, but I wanted to give the option for those who like low fat items.
- 9 inches pie crusts
- 3 -4 roma tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh button mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup shredded fresh basil
- 1⁄2 cup shredded low-fat swiss cheese
- 3⁄4 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1⁄3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- salt and pepper
- Partially bake your pie crust. I use whole wheat pastry four, but you can use your favorite recipe.
- Mix the mayo with the cheddar cheese.
- Layer the pie as follows: 1/2 the tomatoes, 1/2 the onion, 1/2 the basil, 1/2 the mushrooms, 1/2 the Swiss cheese, All the mayo and cheddar mixture, then repeat layers.
- Bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes until golden.
- Share with friends and enjoy!
I'm so sad. I am underwhelmed with the results. The onions were still nearly raw. I still ate it. ;) Younger dd raved & older dd liked it but picked out all the finely diced onion. It does need to sit for a few after coming out of the oven to set up. It didn't serve up well at all. Maybe I didn't prebake the crust enough? The flavor was excellent, tho. I wonder how it would be with caramelized onions? Thank you for posting! Made for Tomato Tag in the Diabetic Forum 4/12.
O my, this is an excellent pie! I made a gluten free crust and used Spanish manchego for the cheddar and goat's gouda for the swiss cheese. The mayonnaise was home made mayo. I will definitely make this again, it's so utterly yummy! Thanks for sharing :)
Made for National Tomato Month / Diabetes Forum.