Recipe by English_Rose
This tasty curry freezes very well, is not too spicy for the kids and contains lots of veggies! To freeze: At the end of step 3, set the lamb mixture aside for 10 minutes to cool. Stir in the beans and peas. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes. Transfer to an airtight container. Label, date and freeze for up to three months. To thaw & cook: Place in the fridge overnight or until thawed. Place the curry in a large saucepan over low heat. Cover and slowly bring to the boil. Increase heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, for 10-15 minutes or until the beans are tender and curry is heated through. Continue from step 5.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 lbs lamb leg steaks, cut into 1in pieces
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 ounces curry paste, rogan josh preferably
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 1⁄2 lbs butternut squash, peeled, deseeded, cut into 1in pieces
- 7 ounces green beans, topped, coarsely chopped
- 5 ounces frozen peas
- 10 ounces basmati rice
- fresh cilantro leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 3 teaspoons of oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add half the lamb and cook, turning, for 1-2 minutes or until browned.
- Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Repeat with the remaining lamb.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 5-6 minutes or until soft.
- Add the curry paste and cook, stirring for 2 minutes or until aromatic.
- Add the tomato paste, stock and squash. Cover and bring to a simmer. Add the lamb and cook, partially covered, for 15 minutes or until the squash is almost tender.
- Add the beans and peas and cook, partially covered, for 5 minutes or until vegetables are just tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice, following packet directions. Drain.
- Divide the rice among serving bowls. Top with curry and cilantro and serve.