1/2 Photos of Tomato Fennel Soup With Garlic Croutons
1 hr 5 mins
A delicious soup for the early fall, made with late harvest tomatoes and the first fennel of the season. The acidity of the tomatoes witll retard the cooking of the vegetables, so be sure they are very tender before adding them. Include the fennel trimmings in the stock, they'll enrich the flavor. Adapted from the Fields of Greens restaurant in San Fransisco.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 2 cups canned tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon anise seed, ground
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, quartered lengthwise, cored, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 2 lbs fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and pureed (about 3 cups or 1 28 oz. can tomatoes with juice, pureed)
- parmesan cheese, grated
- 1Add the 2 cups canned tomatoes and 1/2 teaspoons fennel seed to the vegetable stock and keep warm over low heat.
- 2Heat the olive oil in a soup pot and add the onions, 1/4 teaspoons salt, anise and the ground fennel. Saute over medium heat until the onions are soft, then add the garlic, carrots, and sliced fennel. Cover the pan and cook the vegetables until very tender, about 5 minutes.
- 3Remove the lid, add the sherry and cook for 1-2 more minutes, until the pan is nearly dry.
- 4Add the tomato puree, 1 quart stock, and 1/4 teaspoons salt; cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
- 5Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add a few pinches of sugar if the soup tastes a little acidic.
- 6Serve with Garlic Croutons;.
- 7Garlic Croutons:.
- 8Preheat the oven to 375*F.
- 9Combine the olive oil and garlci. Lay the slices of baguette on a baking sheet and brush them lightly with the garlic oil.
- 10Bake for about 8 minutes, until the croutons are crisp and lightly browned.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato Fennel Soup With Garlic Croutons
Serving Size: 1 (2316 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 198.4
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 214.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 4.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: