Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was printed in the book "Low Fat Lies".
Make and share this Tomato & Clam Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, defrosted
- 1 (28 ounce) cancrushed peeled tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can clams, whole or chopped
- 8 ounces cooked pasta
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Lower the heat and add onion and garlic.
- Cover and cook on low, stirring often for 10-15 minutes; or until onion is translucent.
- Stir in basil, oregano, broth, spinach and tomatoes.
- Cook through on low 5-10 minutes, or simmered up to 1 hour.
- Add the clams and cooked pasta, heat for 3 minutes and serve.
This did the job for the last-night-before-the-groceries supper, even though I have to admit that when we tasted the soup after making it just as posted (ok, two changes: used 1 tbsp olive oil and cooked the onion and garlic for only 5 minutes, which is way enough in both cases), we found it quite bland. We added in 1 cup white wine, 1 more tsp dried basil and dried oregano, about 1 tsp sea salt and 1/4 c chopped fresh parsley, which made it a lot tastier. I think parsley is a must and using fresh basil (when in season!) would be a great idea too. This is a very easy and quick recipe and the soup is hearty enough for a light main dish, served with crusty bread. Thanks for posting, James!