Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is such a very simple way to prepare chicken, and everything is made in just one large skillet.I usually serve it with hot cooked spaghetti.
Top Review by Charlotte J
I used skinless chicken breast for this recipe and the red wine it called for. I enjoyed the flavors that were cooked into the meat by just using a few vegetables and the wine. I thought it would not have much of a flavor but it really did. This is a very easy recipe to fix. I omitted steps 2 and 3 and served this over rice. Next time I'll have to try the spaghetti and grated Parmesan cheese. Thank you, Kittencal, for another keeper that the whole family enjoyed.
- 1 (3 lb) frying chickens, cut into pieces (skin on or off)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil (less if desired, I use 1/4 cup) or 1⁄4 cup canola oil (less if desired, I use 1/4 cup)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 -5 fresh minced garlic cloves
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red wine or 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can tomato sauce (if desired, a larger can can be used for more sauce)
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned whole mushrooms
Directions See How It's Made
- Pat the chicken pieces dry with a paper towel.
- Coat the chicken all over with olive oil.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- In a large heavy-bottomed fry pan, with 1/4 cup olive oil, (large enough to hold all the chicken and the sauce in), over medium-high heat, brown the chicken pieces until brown on both sides (do not burn the chicken, otherwise the sauce will have a bitter taste).
- Remove the browned chicken pieces to a plate; keep warm.
- Add in the chopped onions, green bell pepper and the garlic to the same skillet; saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces back to the skillet.
- Add in the wine (or water if using); cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in the tomato sauce and the mushrooms, cover again; cook for another 20-30 minutes, or until the chicken is done (turn once during the last stage of cooking).
- ***NOTE***If desired grated Parmesan cheese may be sprinkled over the chicken before serving.