Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
A simple yummy addition to a cozy Italian-themed supper, or great all by itself for a snack.
- 1 loaf Italian bread, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- olive oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 12 roma tomatoes, sliced 1/16 inch thick
- grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh basil
- Brush each slice of bread with oil, a sprinkle of garlic and place on a baking sheet.
- Place under the broiler until just golden.
- Add a slice of tomato and sprinkle with mozzarella and basil.
- Broil until it begins to turn brown.
- Serve and enjoy!
I have always loved bruschetta. This version certainly hit the bill. I used a beautiful sourdough straight out of the oven from the bread bakery just up the street. I also used really fresh mozzarella, which can be a challenge to grate, so I just used slices. Also used whole basil leaves tucked under the tomato. I served it with a bit of balsamic vinegar on the side as a dipping sauce. Yum! I could eat these every day. I do believe, though, that the freshest ingredients REALLY make the bruschetta shine.
Absolutely wonderful recipe! I added balsamic vinegar, and chopped up the tomatoes. I only added about a tsp. of the onion, and Italian blended cheeses instead of mozzarella. Excellent.
Quick and easy (especially in the toaster oven) and very tasty! I love the addition of fresh garlic. I didn't have fresh basil (had to use dry) but I will get some next time just for this recipe! Thanks!