Depending on the season, you can serve this soup hot or cold.It is nice garnished with chopped fresh basil or dill and served with Croutons with Chevre and Red Peppers (see recipe on zaar). Recipe from Goodies to Go.
- Saute the onions and garlic in the butter until soft.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato juice, and bay leaves; simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Drain the tomatoes, reserving the juice, and puree them in a blender or food processor with the cream cheese.
- Mix the puree with the reserved juice.
- Add the light cream and season to taste with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
Outstanding! This bisque was super easy to make. I did change a few things. I used 4 cans of V8 juice instead of regular tomato juice. And I added in the following...1 tbsp. sugar, 2 tsp. dried basil (thanks to another members suggestion), garlic powder & Tonys creole seasoning salt (for a bit of spice). I also, did not wait for the soup to cool before pureeing the tomatoes. I served it with grilled cheese sandwiches and fresh sliced tomatoes. Everyone LOVED it! Thanks for a great recipe. Happy New Year!
This was a really good soup, especially paired with jalapeno cheddar grilled cheese! My husband loved it! I halved this recipe with no problem, using a 14.5 oz can of Italian recipe stewed tomatoes and half of a 46 oz bottle of Low Sodium Spicy Hot V8. I also subbed half and half for the cream. Thanks, cookiedog!
Wish I had an immersion blender, would have made it smoother, but fine as it is. Even with all the cream I still felt is was missing a little thickness (which could be due to the lack of blending). Overall really good and not tricky to make!