This is the base tomato sauce for my Italian Meatballs. No matter what you add to it, more veggies, ground beef, chicken pieces, Italian sausage etc., you have a flavourful starting place.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped (if you like)
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 -28 ounces canned tomatoes, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce (like Hunts)
- 3 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup red wine (optional)
- adjust for salt and pepper
- Sauté fresh veggies till softened then add remaining ingredients.
- Bring it all to a boil,then add meatballs or ground beef, Italian sausage, chicken pieces, spare ribs and simmer for a couple of hours.
- (Don't be shy to use fresh herbs in place of dried, an added handful fresh chopped parsley would go nicely too).