Grilled Eggplant Stacks With Goat Cheese, Tomato and Basil Sauce
photo by Everything Tasty Ki
- Ready In:
- 1 large eggplant
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1 cup goat cheese or 1 cup feta
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of, fresh
- 2 garlic cloves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the eggplant into ½” thick rounds. Lightly season them with salt on both sides and let sit on a paper towel for 30 minutes to let water to come out of the eggplant.
- Brush or drizzle olive oil on top of each slice and grill them for 2 -3 minutes each side until cooked.
- Blend the basil leaves with 4 tablespoons olive oil, 2 garlic cloves, lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon salt in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Cut the tomatoes crosswise to 1/4” thick rounds.
- On an oiled baking pan or using parchment paper, arrange 4 eggplant rounds side by side. Spread 1/2 tablespoon of the basil-garlic mixture on top of each one, then generously sprinkle the cheese crumbs. Top each with tomato rings. Add another layer of eggplant, basil spread, cheese and tomato rounds and top with the rest of the crumbled feta. Make as many layers as you can. Usually, 1 large eggplant will make 4, 3 layer stacks.
- Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes until the tomatoes are wilted and the cheese is soft and melted.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Made this last nite for myself and ate the whole thing! I had an eggplant asking to be used.. but couldn't get fired up for the whole parmigian deal nor did I have everything to make a ratatoulli..This came across my screen at just the right time.. Fresh herb planter is growing well...Some ricotta in the fridge to put on the side.... Used some seasoned feta in oil...sprinkled the tops with some mixed italian cheeses.. Yum.. I think it would be a good addition to an evening of Italian appetizers..bruchetta, vodka soaked cherry tomatoes..mini mac and cheese "muffins" and an antipasta salad...
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I have always had a passion for cooking ever since I was a child. I love reading recipes, collecting cookbooks, and recreating dishes with my own twist. I love sharing my tips on how to prepare a dish. I am always on the hunt to discover a new favorite recipe. I invite you to try my recipes and I hope that you discover your next favorite. Enjoy!</p> <p>Check out my blog for more recipes www.everythingtasty.blogspot.com</p>