Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
Serve with grilled cheese for a great lunch or dinner.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup orzo pasta, cooked al dente
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat the butter in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is tender, about 7 minutes. Add the tomatoes and chicken stock and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove soup from heat and puree in batches using a blender. About 1 cup of soup at a time. Return the puree to pot and add in the cream, orzo, salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes over medium low heat, stirring occasionally.