Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a simple, tasty salad or appetizer with a nice presentation. You can also use endive instead of the Bibb lettuce. From Gourmet, this will make 24 appetizers.
- 4 tomatoes, vine-ripened, seeded and chopped fine (about 2 cups)
- 6 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup sweet onion, finely chopped (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (preferably extra-virgin)
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar (to taste)
- 24 leaves bibb lettuce, outer leaves (about 4 heads)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf, finely shredded for garnishment
- basil sprig, garnishment
- In a bowl toss together tomatoes, bacon, onion, oil, vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste. Spoon mixture into lettuce leaves and sprinkle with shredded basil.
- Serve lettuce cups on a platter garnished with basil sprigs.
I had 2 slices of bacon that were just begging to be cooked - Lovely salad lovely dressing Thankslazyme for posting
This recipe looks wonderful on the table and tastes pretty good. I felt it was missing some type of soft cheese. Next time, I think I will try it with goat or blue cheese to make it fabulous!