Recipe by Barb G.
I was looking for a tomatillo salsa recipe for canning & couldn't find one that suited our Taste so, I came up this this one. Everyone that has tried it likes it. We have a lot of tomatillos in the garden, so I wanted a way to use them.
Top Review by jessica456
we loved this recipe and we grilled the tomatillos until the skins were charred before chopping them. this addes to the sweetness and also gave a slightly smoky flavor. its really very very sweet. we also added an extra teaspoon of cumin.
- 6 cups tomatillos, chopped
- 3 cups onions, chopped
- 3 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot & stir frequently over high heat until mixture boils.
- Reduce heat.
- Simmer 20 minutes.
- Ladle into pint jars.
- Leave 1/2 inch head space.
- Adjust lids, process in a hot water bath for 20 minutes.
- Be sure to wear gloves when chopping peppers as they will burn fingers.
- Also, have good ventilation when cooking--I have found this to be true when cooking ALL salsa.
- I use a food processor for chopping.
- If you want it hotter use more jalapeños & you can use more or less cumin, as cumin makes it hot, BUT gives a good flavor.