Recipe by Rita~
Spicy hot fruity salsa is refreshingly crunchy, tart from the Granny Smiths, lime, and apple cider vinegar. Can't get tomatillos use green tomatoes.
- 6 cups diced tomatillos (2 pounds) or 6 cups diced green tomatoes
- 2 large granny smith apples, 3 cups diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 large red pepper, 1 1/4 cups diced
- 3⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 -2 fresh habaneros or 4 -6 fresh jalapenos, minced
- 1⁄3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon pickling salt
- 1 lime, zest, meat chopped, pith discarded
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black onion seeds, Nigella Sativa
- fresh cracked black pepper, 10 turns
- pickling lime (crisp granules 1/8 teaspoon per pint calcium chloride) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare jars for canning.
- In a large pot combine all ingredients except for the granules.
- bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Place 1/8 teaspoon of the granules in each pint if using.
- Ladle into hot sterlized jars leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Wipe rims and top with lids.
- Process for 10 minutes in a hot water bath covered by at least 1 inch of water.
- Remove jars a leave in a draft free spot for 24 hours.
- Lable and store in a pantry fo up to 1 year.