Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A great Bed and Breakfast recipe. Here's what the Innkeeper says, “This recipe is a very popular entrée or appetizer in our restaurant, the Ravens. The tofu is skewered and grilled, then served with a Thai-style peanut sauce.” —Innkeeper, Stanford Inn by the Sea--Stanford Inn by the Sea, in Mendocino, CA. Enjoy!
- 1 (16 ounce) packagefirm teriyaki tofu (or plain tofu marinated in a little teriyaki sauce)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup sliced red onion
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 teaspoons red chili paste
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
- salt, to taste
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 3⁄4 cup crunchy peanut butter
- Cut tofu into 3 lengthwise slices. Grill tofu, with enough heat to leave grill marks, until crisp. Remove from heat and cut into long, wide strips.
- Skewer on skewers and serve with peanut sauce.
- For the peanut sauce: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and ginger; cook, stirring frequently, until browned. Add garlic and chile paste; brown lightly. Add rice vinegar, white and brown sugars, tamari, salt, lime juice and cilantro. Bring to a boil. Add coconut milk and return to boil. Purée in a blender or food processor. Return to heat and bring to a simmer. Slowly whisk in peanut butter until melted and combined.