1/2 Photos of Tod Mun Goong ( Thai Fish and Shrimp Cakes )
Dorie's Lori's Note:
Thai Fish and Shrimp Cakes - you know – that yummy appetizer at Thai restaurants, with the cucumber dipping sauce. These will wow your friends at parties - until they disappear. Or, serve with rice and a vegetable for dinner. Uses a food processor. Also, the Cucumber Sauce should be made ahead, and the fish cake part can also be made ahead.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb flounder or 1/2 lb cod or 1/2 lb other white flakey fish
- 1/2 lb shrimp, peeled
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro
- 6 ounces green beans
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- oil, for pan frying
Cucumber Dipping Sauce
- 1Process the onion and cilantro until chopped up. Put in a large bowl.
- 2Process the fish until pasty and then the the shrimp until mostly pasty, but still somewhat coarse. Add to the bowl.
- 3Slice the green beans approximately 1/8”, or process them, and add.
- 4Mix the cornstarch with the fish sauce, and add the curry paste, egg and sugar. Add to the bowl and mix very very well.
- 5Heat some oil in a frying pan. Use a tablespoon to form small (2") patties and fry in the oil. When golden, turn over and fry the other side. Drain on paper towels, and serve hot with the Cucumber Dipping Sauce.
- 6Cucumber Dipping Sauce:.
- 7Cut the cucumber lengthwise in quarters, and then slice thinnish. Put in a small bowl.
- 8Chop the shallots, and add.
- 9Remove some of the seeds and membranes from the peppers and finely chop. Add.
- 10Boil the water, vinegar and sugar together for a few minutes. Pour over the chopped veggies. Refrigerate to cool.
- 11Add the peanuts when serving.
- 13You could make substitutions for the flounder, or use all fish if you didn't want to use shrimp.
- 14Recipe, as posted, is mildly spicy, "warm," but not very spicy "hot". It could be toned up or down by adjusting the red curry paste a bit, but the flavor is central to this dish.
- 15Since I mostly serve this at parties, # of servings is very approximate. Sorry, but time is, too - I guessed. Next time I'll time it. I counted the frying as active time.
Browse Our Top Sole and Flounder Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sole and Flounder Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tod Mun Goong ( Thai Fish and Shrimp Cakes )
Serving Size: 1 (104 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 75.0
- Calories from Fat 15
- Total Fat 1.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 63.8 mg
- Sodium 361.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 8.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red curry paste