Prep 24 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This is a Filipino breakfast meat , when served with Garlic fried rice and a fried egg this dish is called Tocilog. I usually also eat it with salted tomatoes. I'm am not claiming this recipe is authentic by any means, it also is made without any preservatives as authentic recipes usually include.
- 907.18 g cubed pork (loin, butt)
- 177.44 ml Sprite
- 4.92 ml freshly cracked black pepper
- 14.78 ml kosher salt
- 29.58 ml garlic powder
- 236.59 ml sugar
- red food coloring
- mix all ingredients together in a large container with a lid.
- Adjust coloring as desired.(i prefer my tocino to look a bit more bold).
- Allow to stand in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours to allow flavors to permeate meat.
- It can also be stored in the freezer for later use.
- To prepare, place in a wide and deep skillet with around two cups of water. Simmer until meat is tender and water has evaporated.
- Add 2 to 3 tbsps oil and continue to cook until meat has caramelized, moving in pan regularly to prevent from burning.