Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I adopted this recipe. I think that the quality of chili powder really does matter for this recipe, as does watching the baking time. It is easy to burn the seasoning on the pecans.
- 4 cups pecan halves
- 3 tablespoons Kahlua (or substitute non-alcohol coffee syrup)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder (New Mexico or Ancho)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Combine pecans, Kahlua, and oil.
- Toss well.
- Add chile powder, sugar, salt, and cayenne.
- Mix well.
- Place on a baking sheet that has been lightly oiled or that is covered with parchment paper.
- Bake in a preheated oven for a total of 20 to 25 minutes: bake for 10 minutes, then stir.
- Stir again about every 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and loosen with a spatula.
- Allow to cool.
- Break up if needed.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Note: Can be frozen.
- Can be chopped and used as a topping for desserts.
Chile pecans with Kahlua, wow! I would add some more sweetness and saltiness, next time.