1/1 Photo of Tlayuda With Black Bean Puree (Aka Mexican Unpizza)
Kumquat the Cat's friend's Note:
This is the genuine article, an Oaxacan specialty. Not to be called pizza. Better than the sum of its parts, the texture is key. I served with a Louisiana hot sauce, you may want to serve with salsa if you are not into things too hot. Other beans would also work well with this. As published in the NY Times. By Mark Bittman, the Minimalist.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 473.18 ml cooked black beans or 473.18 ml canned black beans, drained, liquid reserved
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 14.79 ml garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 4.92 ml chili powder, to taste (mild like New Mexico or ancho)
- 9.85-14.78 ml cumin, to taste
- 4 corn tortillas
- 236.59 ml mozzarella cheese (if possible use quesillo which is Mexican string cheese, or use queso fresco, goat cheese or feta)
- 236.59 ml cabbage, chopped
- 118.29 ml fresh cilantro, shredded (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- 2If using dried beans, add salt, pepper, garlic, onion, chili powder and cumin in last few minutes of cooking. Place mixture in blender or food processer with enough liquid to allow machine to do its work and roughly puree.
- 3If using canned beans, add seasonings and warm mixture gently in a saucepan, stirring, to take the edge off of the garlic and onion. Then roughly puree with a little of the liquid as necessary.
- 4Place the tortillas on pizza peel or baking sheet and evenly spread with the bean mixture and then the cheese.
- 5Bake for 5 minutes, then sprinkle with cabbage and cilantro if using. Bake another 5 minutes until the topping is hot and tortilla is crisp on the edges. Cut into wedges if desired.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tlayuda With Black Bean Puree (Aka Mexican Unpizza)
Serving Size: 1 (178 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 270.4
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 22.1 mg
- Sodium 199.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.0 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 16.0 g