Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a different take on the Tiramisu desserts; especially for those who do not like coffee. These individual "tiramisu" cups would make a perfect dessert for a small dinner party or why not serve them at brunch. Courtesy of Diana's Desserts 2004.
- 4 sheets phyllo dough
- 6 ounces cream cheese or 6 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons brandy or 2 tablespoons rum or 2 tablespoons Amaretto
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup frozen non-dairy topping, thawed
- 3⁄4 cup mixed berry (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup semisweet chocolate, shavings or 1⁄4 cup chocolate curls
- toasted slivered almonds, chopped (garnish)
- Preheat oven to 325F, for phyllo cups.
- In a medium bowl, with an electric mixer at medium speed, beat the cream cheese ( or mascarpone cheese, if using), confectioner's sugar, cocoa powder, milk, vanilla or almond extract, and rum or Amaretto or brandy, with a rubber spatula, fold in the whipped topping.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Fill the phyllo cups with cocoa mixture; top with berries (if using) and sprinkle with chocolate shavings ot curls and slivered almond pieces.
- Rather than dirty your pastry bag, snip a small hole in the corner of a plastic food storage bag and pipe the mixture into the cups.
- Phyllo Cups:.
- Layer 4 sheets of phyllo dough, brushing each layer with melted butter or oil.
- To prepare cups for the chocolate mousse filling, sprinkle each layer with granulated sugar or confectioner's sugar after brushing with butter or oil.
- Cut squares with scissors from the phyllo for various muffin pan sizes. (3-1/2 inch squares for mini cups; 5-1/2 inch for standard cups; 8-inch squares for jumbo cups).
- Spray the muffin tins with vegetable spray.
- Press the layered phyllo squares gently but firmly against the bottoms and sides of the muffin cups.
- Bake the empty shells until they are crisp and golden about 7-10 minutes.
- Remove them from oven and let them cool completely before filling.
- The empty cups can also be frozen. Can be made and baked 2-3 days in advance and stored in airtight container.
- Avoid filling them until just before serving. Moist contents will cause the phyllo to become soggy.