Recipe by TeksGlutes
I haven't made this one yet but it looks so good! I'm not sure how many these make, I guessed.
Top Review by GimlisGirl
This is a fabulous recipe, and surprisingly uncomplicated! Took me about 45 minutes start to finish. The only problems: the recipe makes too much frosting (I think I'll halve it next time), not enough espresso syrup for my coffee-drenched tastes. Also, this recipe makes 2 dozen cupcakes, NOT the 12 servings listed above. Thanks for sharing on zaar!
- 6 eggs, separated (separate when cold, allow to come to room temp)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons water, room temp
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour (measure after sifted)
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 5 teaspoons espresso powder
- 3 cups mascarpone
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup marsala wine
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream, chilled
Directions See How It's Made
- In large mixing bowl at high speed, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy. Add half of the sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating constantly until sugar is dissolved and whites are glossy and stand in soft peaks. Rub just a bit of meringue between thumb and forefinger to feel if sugar has dissolved.
- In small mixing bowl at high speed, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored, about 3 to 5 minutes. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, water, vanilla and salt (if desired) until blended.
- With a sifter or sprinkle flour with a sieve over whites. Add beaten yolk mixture. Gently, but thoroughly, fold yolk mixture and flour into whites.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 10-15 min or until done.
- Espresso Syrup.
- In a small, heavy saucepan over high heat, combine the water, the remaining 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar and the espresso or coffee powder. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Use a fork to poke a few holes into cupcakes so that they will absorb liquid. Pour approximately ½-1 teaspoon of syrup onto each cupcake.
- In a medium bowl using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat together the mascarpone cheese, confectioner’s sugar and marsala until well blended. Add the cream and beat until fluffy, about 1 minute. Frost cupcakes with mascarpone/whipped cream mixture. Dust tops with cocoa powder (I used unsweetened) and then sprinkle with dark chocolate shavings.