Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 35 mins
I used to make with beef, now it is turkey. Beef is tastier A good make ahead dish, refrigerate,then bake. Serve with a salad. The flavors become more intense the longer it is refrigerated & covered. It can be served the next day, heated slowly. The meatballs & sauce can be served over tortilla chips if rice is not desired.
- 2 lbs ground beef or 2 lbs ground turkey
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups crushed corn chips
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons A.1. Original Sauce
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1⁄2 cup flour or 1⁄2 cup cornstarch or 1⁄2 cup rice flour
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed and minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 (4 ounce) cansmild chopped green chilies
- 2 cups chopped white onions
- 2 teaspoons sugar or 2 teaspoons Splenda granular
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄2 cup sliced black olives or 1⁄2 cup sliced pimento-stuffed green olives
- 3 cups cooked white rice, plain
- 1 pint sour cream
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- Pam cooking spray
- Mix the meat, eggs, corn chips, milk, black pepper. Mix well. Then add A-1 Sauce and minced dried onion. Cover and refrigerate at least two hours or overnight.
- In very large saucepan,add olive oil, garlic, chili powder, cumin, green chilies, white onions. Saute until onions are starting to turn brown. Add sugar, tomatoes and olives. Simmer about 15 minutes. Set Aside.
- Form meatballs, about 1 large tblsp. and roll between hands.
- Add flour or cornstarch in pie plate and roll each meat ball. Place on a tray.
- In large frying pan, melt margarine and add the meatballs, frying until light brown. Take out out on tray.
- Add the meat balls to the sauce and simmer about 10 minutes.
- In mixing bowl, add cooked rice, sour cream.
- and shredded cheese. Add 1 cup of the sauce to the rice and mix.
- Spray Pam in 9 X 13 pan or flat bottom casserole dish.
- Lay the mixed rice on the bottom, Gently pour the sauce over the rice with the meatballs.
- Preheat oven 375*.
- Cover and cook 40 minutes. Allow ten minutes more if rice is cold.
- Everything can be done the night before and refrigerated and then layered right before cooking.
- Note: If you want this spicier add cayenne pepper to the sauce or habanero chopped peppers.
- Passive work time includes 2 hrs refrigeration.