Prep 45 mins
Cook 8 hrs
From Cooking Light. Per 1 1/3 cup serving: 314 calories, 10.2 g fat, 16.4 g protein, 41.9 g carb, 11.6 g fiber, 13 mg cholesterol.
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 354.88 ml chopped onions
- 354.88 ml diagonally sliced carrots (1/2-inch thick slices)
- 236.59 ml diagonally sliced parsnip (1/2-inch thick slices)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 709.77 ml cooked great northern beans, drained
- 177.44 ml vegetable broth
- 2.46 ml dried thyme
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 793.78 g can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 59.14 ml dry breadcrumbs
- 59.14 ml grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 29.58 ml butter, melted
- 2 link frozen italian vegetarian sausages, thawed and chopped (Boca)
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a big nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add in onion, carrot, parsnip, and garlic; cover and cook 5 minutes or until tender.
- Place parsnip mixture in a 5-quart slow cooker; add in beans and next 6 ingredients.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or until vegetables are tender; discard bay leaf.
- Combine breadcrumbs, cheese, and butter in a small bowl; toss with a fork until crumbs are moist.
- Stir breadcrumb mixture and sausage into bean mixture; sprinkle with parsley.
DH and I made this cassoulet for dinner last night. We both really enjoyed it with a fresh baguette and a little extra Parmesan cheese sprinkled over the top. This really was not difficult to prep in the morning, then we just let the slow cooker go all day and enjoyed dinner later in the evening with very little fuss. We used panko for the breadcrumbs and I browned my vegetarian Trader Joe's sausages (3 links) on the stovetop before adding them to the dish; otherwise we did not alter the recipe at all. I'm adding this to my keeper file as this was good comfort food on a cold day. Thanks! Made for Sun and Spice 2013.
I simmered this dish slowly in the skillet rather than use the crockpot and making half a recipe worked fine. Dh was a bigger fan of this than I. Perhaps my failure to use the slow-cooker changed the intended flavor so I'll not rate it.