24 hrs 35 mins
This cake is a delicious creamy cross between a cake and a pudding --- plan ahead the cake needs to be refrigerated overnight, prep time includes overnight refrigeration time, this is a wonderful cake!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water or 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream (unwhipped)
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 7 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- 2Gradually beat in sugar until soft peaks form.
- 3Add yolks one at a time, beating until combined.
- 4In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to egg mixture, alternately with water or skim milk.
- 5Stir in extract.
- 6Pour into a greased 13" x 9" baking pan.
- 7Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- 8Cool on wire rack.
- 9Poke holes all over cake with fork or thin straw.
- 10Chill, covered in fridge overnight.
- 11The following day: In a saucepan, combine condensed milk, cream, corn syrup and evaporated milk.
- 12Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 minutes.
- 13Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- 14Slowly pour over cold cake, letting milk absorb into cake.
- 15Cover, and refrigerate.
- 16FOR ICING: In a mixing bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form.
- 17Gradually beat in sugar until stiff peaks form.
- 18Stir in vanilla.
- 19In a bowl, combine the sour cream, icing sugar and almond extract.
- 20Fold in the whipping cream into the mixture.
- 21Spread over topping.
- 22Refrigerate until serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Three Milk Cake (Tres Leches)
Serving Size: 1 (192 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 633.3
- Calories from Fat 257
- Total Fat 28.6 g
- Saturated Fat 16.9 g
- Cholesterol 196.0 mg
- Sodium 335.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 59.5 g
- Protein 10.1 g