Three-Bean Chili With Spring Pesto
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and carrots and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and their liquid, 2 cups water, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil.
- Add the chickpeas and beans and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Combine the garlic, pine nuts, parsley, the remaining olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl.
- Divide the chili among individual bowls and top with the pesto.
- Serve with the bread, if desired.