Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Found on delish.com--this burger with Caramelized Onion and Bacon Jam sounds phenomenal and I plan on making them this weekend. Posting here for safekeeping. Times are estimated and cook time assumes bacon and caramelized onions are being cooked simultaneously. Edited 30 May 2011: These are wonderful! Made them for a Memorial Day weekend BBQ and everyone scarfed them down like there was no tomorrow! I added 1 T Worcestershire sauce to the burgers before mixing and was generous with the salt and pepper. The Caramelized Onion and Bacon Jam would be fantastic on ANY burger or sandwich!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 toasted hamburger buns, for serving
- dill pickle (recipe says "shaved dill pickles" for serving)
Caramelized Onion and Bacon Jam
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 4 cups diced white onions
- 1 lb bacon
Lure Secret Sauce
- 2 cups ketchup
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Make burger: In a large mixing bowl, add the ground beef and mustard. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Mix together until combined.
- Shape into four 6-ounce patties. Grill over high heat, for 5 to 6 minutes per side, for medium.
- Make Caramelized Onion and Bacon Jam: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a sauté pan, heat oil and cook onions until caramelized. This should take about 15 to 20 minutes over moderate heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- When oven is hot, place bacon on a sheet pan and bake until it is nice and crispy, about 30 minutes. Let it cool, and chop it finely.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the onions and chopped bacon and season with salt and pepper. Set aside and let sit.
- Make Lure Secret Sauce: In a large mixing bowl, combine ingredients. Mix until blended together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble burger: Place burger on toasted bun and top with Caramelized Onion and Bacon Jam and the Lure Sauce and shaved dill pickles.
These burgers were great! I added some worcestershire as well as a T. of fish sauce to the meat. I also layered some gorgonzola between two thin patties before grilling to make stuffed bleu cheese burgers. The onion bacon jam was awesome! Thanks UTP for a great recipe!