2 hrs 30 mins
zoe,owen,andliams mommy's Note:
*The chuck roast will yield more meat, but the bones from the short ribs give the soup an incredible flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (if using chuck roast)
- 2 1/2-3 lbs beef short ribs or 2 1/2-3 lbs boneless beef chuck roast, roast*
- 4 quarts cold water
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt, plus extra for seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, plus extra for seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup sliced green beans
- 1 cup frozen black-eyed peas
- 1 cup frozen butter beans
- 1 cup cut okra
- 1 cup corn kernel
- 1 cup diced potato
- 1/2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- chopped fresh parsley leaves
House Seasoning (use 1 tablespoon)
- 1If using chuck roast, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place the roast in the skillet and cook until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Remove the roast from the skillet and cut it into 1 1/2 to 2-inch cubes; discard the fat. Place the beef cubes in a large stockpot. (If using short ribs, you can put them right in the pot with no preparation).
- 2Add the water, tomatoes, onions, dried parsley, beef bouillon, dried Italian seasoning, House Seasoning, seasoned salt, Worcestershire sauce, celery salt, garlic powder, black pepper and bay leaves.
- 3Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover the pot; reduce the heat so that the liquid simmers, and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until the meat is very tender.
- 4If using short ribs, remove them from the pot and cut the meat from the bones, discard the bones and fat, and return the meat to the pot. Add the remaining vegetables and the macaroni and return the soup to a boil, stirring to distribute the ingredients.
- 5Reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- 6Just before serving, season with salt and pepper and add fresh chopped parsley. To remove excess fat from the surface of the soup, swirl a lettuce leaf around the surface—it will pick up a lot of the fat.
Browse Our Top For Large Groups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All For Large Groups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Lady and Sons Beef Vegetable Soup ( Paula Deen )
Serving Size: 1 (484 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 384.7
- Calories from Fat 244
- Total Fat 27.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 53.9 mg
- Sodium 7311.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 14.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried Italian seasoning