Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Just found this recipe and, while I haven't tried it, just had to post it for all the Zaar orange lovers!
- Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the butter in a large mixing bowl for 30 seconds; add the icing sugar and beat until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- Beat in the orange juice until combined.
- Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer.
- With a wooden spoon, stir in 1 tbsp of the orange peel, plus the remaining flour.
- Shape the dough into 1-1/4-inch balls.
- Roll each one in granulated sugar.
- Place the balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 325°F oven for 15 minutes, or until the bottoms are lightly browned.
- Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender, blend together the 3/4 cup of granulated sugar and the remaining 2 tsp orange peel.
- Roll the warm, baked cookies in this mixture.
- Cool on wire racks.
Made these for my sister's "tea themed" brunch baby shower last November & they were sooo good! Very simple & addictive! Thanks for the post!<br/>Update: 12/1/13: we make these annually, since they're just that good. We've never had an issue with the orange sugar not adhering to the cookies warm out if the oven...today we did. I modified an orange glazed cookie recipe to make this work by simply adding a small amount of orange juice to the orange zest sugar...perfection. I used a small spoon to place the glaze atop as that seemed to go more quiclkly than dipping them individually. Let them dry for a bit & we store ours in the freezer. We actually liked the glaze even better than the orange sugar! Great cookie!
These cookies turned out so flavorful and delicious. I had many compliments on them. I used satsuma tangerine juice & peel because I had them on hand. I actually used a whole tablespoon of the shredded tangerine rind processed with sugar. Rolled the cookies while still warm in this as your recipe stated and they were exquisite! Thanks for a wonderful recipe, Lennie!
Lennie these orange snowball cookies are wonderful. They were beautiful with a cup of tea. What a lovely tender, flavourful cookie. Instead of using white sugar I rolled my cookies in icing sugar and orange rind. (just a personal preference)Thanks so much for sharing this recipe.