Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This beef roast is flavored with paprika, allspice and caraway, with a sauce out of tomato, soup greens and, of course, sour cream. I found this to post for zwt6 germany on about.com. The arm roast can be replaced by whatever other inexpensive cut you like. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter or 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 lbs arm roast
- ground sweet, Hungarian paprika
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 leek, cleaned and chopped
- 1⁄4 celeriac, peeled and chopped or 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped, about 1 cup
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice or 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 tablespoons sour cream (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- Melt the butter or oil in a pan which is large enough to hold your roast and comes with a tight-fitting lid.
- Rub the roast all over with salt, pepper and paprika and brown on all sides in the hot fat. Remove to a plate.
- Add the finely chopped vegetables and brown them, stirring often. Put the roast back in the pan.
- Add the tomato paste (thin with 1/2 cup water), and the spices. Pour another cup of water into the pan, stir and close the lid tightly.
- Braise on low heat for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, or until roast is fork tender. Check roast occasionally and add water as necessary.
- Remove the roast and keep warm.
- For a smooth sauce purée the vegetables using a hand blender. Add the sour cream to the sauce and heat through. Taste and adjust the seasonings. You may want to add a little lemon juice as well as salt and pepper.
- Tip: To keep the large allspice out of the sauce, you may wish to put them and the bay leaf in a twist of cheesecloth tied with string so that you can remove them before you finish the sauce.
I really liked this and was perfect for a low carb meal, I used my crock pot and was pleased with the unusual flavours of caraway and allspice and the gravy was delicious with the sour cream added. Made for ZWT thank you for posting