Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe makes the absolute best tiramisu ever! It's so (deceptively) light and creamy, with a lovely coffee/amaretto taste. It gets rave reviews every time I make it! Best made a day ahead. The recipe comes from the ladyfinger cookie package. Cook time is approximate time to make coffee.
- 14 ounces ladyfingers (I use the Vincenzi all'uovo brand)
- 400 g mascarpone cheese (if the container is 475g, you can use all of it, if desired)
- 4 eggs
- 100 g sugar (I use 1/2 cup)
- 2 cups brewed espresso, hot (or very strong coffee)
- 3 ounces Amaretto (or to taste, can be omitted if wish)
- cocoa powder, for dusting
- Separate eggs, placing yolks in a large-sized bowl and whites in a medium-sized bowl.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar together until creamy and golden yellow.
- Add mascarpone and whip until fully incorporated.
- Fold in beaten egg whites, and set mixture aside.
- Get out your 13 x 9 glass dish (or serving dish of your choice).
- Pour coffee and amaretto into another dish to dunk the cookies.
- VERY, VERY QUICKLY dunk enough cookies (one at a time) to line the bottom of the serving dish.
- The cookies absorb liquids very rapidly so you don't want to keep them in the hot coffee - just dip them in and take out immediately.
- Once the bottom of the serving dish is covered, spread 1/2 of the mascarpone mixture over the cookies.
- Repeat the cookie step, then spread on the remaining mascarpone mixture.
- Refrigerate for several hours to allow everything to set and to let the flavours develop.
- Dust with cocoa. (If it will be in the fridge overnight, you may wish to save the cocoa dusting until the next day.)
- Ideally, the tiramisu should be made the day before you wish to serve it, and it lasts several days if kept refrigerated.