Mom's Best Banana Bread
photo by Baby Kato
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄4 cups mashed bananas (4 to 5 Medium bananas)
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2⁄3 cup sugar (or Splenda, whatever you like)
- 2 eggs, separated (Large or Medium)
- 1 1⁄2 ounces milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts (optional) or 1/4 cup pecans (optional)
- Cream together butter, sugar, & egg yolks until creamy.
- Sift dry ingredients together (flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon & nutmeg). Alternately add the dry mixture to the creamed butter mixture as well as the milk & mashed bananas. Beat the egg whites until a stiff peak forms and fold in with a wooden spoon, (make sure you only use a wooden spoon to do this - this is KEY), next - fold in the chopped nuts also stir in with the wooden spoon.
- Bake in a loaf pan that you have sprayed with olive oil or non-stick spray and dusted lightly with flour at 350° for approximately 45 minutes - insert a toothpick in the center of the loaf to ensure it is not runny, if it is - allow to bake an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack and serve with cream cheese or your favorite margarine.
- Note: I love to wait a day and then toast a piece in my toaster oven - it is SO good when it gets re-heated and toasty with butter on it and a cup of coffee - YUM!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is WONDERFUL! My family usually groans when I say I'm making banana bread (I make it quite often), but this is soooooo good! I didn't have flax seeds, so those were omitted, and I cheated by using my KitchenAid (I have a 16-month-old running around), and this still turned out STUPENDOUS! Great recipe -- THANK YOU!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am the Director of Sales for the Embassy Suites Hotel in Brunswick, GA ~ which has currently undergone major renovations (now we are the BEST Hotel in Brunswick & the Golden Isles of Georgia - MOST definitely!) I LOVE to cook / bake - create recipes - using great starter recipes where my creative juices flow into other areas - I am really surprising myself how good a cook I am becoming - (as well as my hubby) :-)