Recipe by Mary Anne
This is my absolute favorite baked beans recipe - I didn't like them until I tasted this. It is my aunt's - a family favorite! When I can't find limas in a can, I use a frozen package. We also make this vegetarian by omitting the bacon.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 8 slices bacon, fried & crumbled
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2 (16 ounce) cans butter beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can lima beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can pork and beans (use vegetarian baked beans if making vegetarian version of this recipe)
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry bacon until crisp. Remove and crumble.
- Add onions to grease and add sugar, mustard, salt, and vinegar.
- Cover and cook on stovetop for 20 minutes.
- Drain all beans except pork and beans.
- Add beans to cooked mixture and pour into a 3 quart casserole dish.
- Bake at 350°F for one hour.
- Remove from oven and top with crumbled bacon.