Sweet & Salty Baked Beans
- Ready In:
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pork and beans
- 1⁄3 cup hickory flavored barbecue sauce
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 1-qt baking dish.
- In a skillet cook bacon until crisp; drain and reserve 2 tablespoons of drippings.
- In the same skillet saute green pepper in drippings until tender; set aside.
- Drain 1 can of beans.
- In a bowl combine both cans beans, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, mustard and sauteed green pepper.
- Transfer to baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly.
- Sprinkle with bacon.
Join The Conversation
I found myself without the time to make my usual baked beans which cook for hours, so a quick search found me this recipe...I am so glad I tried it. I had to make substitutions based on what I had on hand-a 28 oz. can of Vegetarian baked beans, and Famous Dave's Devil's Spit BBQ sauce. I also added about 3T chopped onion (leftovers) to the skillet with the green pepper. Baked about 50 minutes. These had a great zippy sweet taste and were not too runny. We hate runny baked beans. The green pepper is a great addition to sweet baked beans! I ate the leftovers cold later that night-good as a snack too!