Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This came from The Best Light Recipe. They aren't as low calorie as most other light recipes out there, but then again their recipes don't TASTE light either and they are still lower calorie and fat than the original version. These taste awesome, and they aren't too hard to make either.
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, Plus
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar, Plus
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 cups blueberries
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 375º F.
- Spray 12 cup muffin tray with oil spray.
- Whisk 2 cups all-purpose flour, cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 1/4 cup of the sugar together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Beat an additional 3/4 cup sugar and and butter with a mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy (3-5 minutes). Scrape batter down sides with a spatula as needed.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in lemon juice and zest, and vanilla until incorporated.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and beat in 1/3 of the flour mixture until just incorporated, followed by 1/3 of the yogurt, scraping down sides of the bowl as needed.
- Repeat this process 2 more times alternating between the remaining flour mixture and the yogurt until the ingredients are just incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Rinse blueberries in a metal strainer until water comes out clear; dry on a paper towel. (This step prevents blueberries from bleeding into dough mixture and turning a gray color).
- Toss the blueberries with the remaining tablespoon of all-purpose flour.
- Gently fold blueberries into the batter with a rubber spatula.
- Using a large ice cream scoop divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups and sprinkle the tops with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until golden brown and toothpick comes out of center clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then flip them out onto a wire rack and cool for 10 more minutes.