Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I have made several different chili recipes, and have fine-tuned them until I came up with this. This chili is great because it has some kick to it, but it isn't overly spicy. It has a very nice flavour. It also freezes well! This chili tastes even better the next day once the flavours have had a chance to blend more. After making this, you will never buy those store-bought chili spices again!
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (398 ml) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (796 ml) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (540 ml) cans red kidney beans
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice or 1 teaspoon sugar
- Saute meat until approximately 1/2 done.
- Add onions, green pepper, garlic, and jalapeno pepper and continue to saute until meat is browned. Drain.
- Add meat mixture to all other ingredients in a large pot. Stir well.
- Simmer for 2 (or more) hours, stirring occasionally.
I would just like to say that adding pumpkin to chili is healthy and tasty. I also add pineapple juice to mine it adds sweetness (sweet and spicy.)