Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
My family will give up a pumpkin pie for this! ---- two teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice may be used in place of the cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice --- I have made this using both the white and yellow cake mix I have to say that the yellow is better to use.
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pinch allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package cake mix, mix (use yellow or white cake)
- 2 cups chopped pecans or 2 cups walnuts
- 1 cup melted butter or 1 cup margarine
- whipped cream
- Set oven 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- In a bowl combine the pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt; mix until well combined.
- Pour into prepared baking pan.
- Sprinkle the cake mix evenly over the top of the pumpkin mixture.
- Sprinkle the chopped nuts over the cake mix.
- Drizzle the melted butter or margarine evenly over the top.
- Bake for about 55-60 minutes (do not bake more than 80 minutes).
- Cool completely, then pipe the whipped cream over the top of the cooled cake.
I made this with my girl scout troop to enter a pumpkin pie contest. It was very "pumpkinny" and had a different spin on pumpkin pie. Very similar to "dump cakes" where you use pie fillings and top with cake mix, butter, and nuts. As for the pie contest, the girls won 1st prize. Thanks for the recipe.
I cannot say enough about this recipe. I made it after I smelled in cooking at a friends house. Its smell, taste, texture is intoxicating. This is an amazing sub for pumpkin pie. And tastes MUCH better. When I made it the first time, I omitted the allspice and the nutmeg since I didn't have any on hand..and it was still delicious. My pumpkin hating husband devours it. He asks for it all the time!!! You will not be disappointed with this one.
I made this tonight as a test run for Thanksgiving. Outstanding!!! It really was too easy, yet so delicious. I was expecting this to be kind of like a pumpkin pie, but the flavor of the nuts, cake & pumpkin all combined to make it a really interesting & irresistible dessert for the Holidays.I used the yellow cake mix & walnuts,& also used pumpkin pie spice.THANKS!!