Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
The Runner-Up recipe of 2000, in the San Francisco Chronicle, from Tim Hanni.
- 382.71 g can coconut milk
- 2.46 ml Thai red curry paste
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 14.79 ml finely grated fresh ginger
- 44.37 ml nam pla (Thai fish sauce)
- 2 limes
- 453.59 g shrimp, peeled and deveined or 453.59 g scallops
- 236.59 ml cubed cubed ripe mango (such as a Manila or Champagne mango)
- 78.07 ml finely chopped cilantro
- 4.92 ml unseasoned rice vinegar
- Combine the coconut milk, curry paste, garlic, ginger, 2 tablespoons of the nam pla and the juice of 1 lime in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the shrimp and simmer for 5 minutes, until they turn pink and are cooked through. Add the mango and cilantro. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon nam pla, the juice of the second lime and the rice vinegar.
- Serve this soup-like curry in shallow bowls with steamed jasmine rice on the side.
Not bad, however the juice of 2 limes was over-powering. I'd recommend 1/2 to 1 lime for the whole recipe, rather than the two. Also, if you like heat, you'll probably want to double the 1/2 tsp of red curry paste recommended. Going to try this again with these modifications as I do love Thail foods like this.
OH MY WORD!!! If this were any better I would not be able to stand myself! We ALL wanted seconds last night but I only made it for 4 servings. Next time I will double the recipe! This is as good as ANY Thai I've ever had and I've had many, many dishes. It was so easy to make, too. YUM!!! Thanks, evelyn, for this family keeper.
I was in two minds about the mango, but it did make it, DH said 100% fabulous! Served on couscous to drink up all the marvellous sauce, if we ate this in a restaurant we'd be going back there :) Fabulous Evelyn, thank you, made for ZWT9, Hot Pink Panthers On The Prowl