Recipe by Miss Annie
Thai Pie uses a brown rice crust for pizza or pie, depending on which baking vessel you choose. It features some pad Thai flavors, such as peanuts, onion and crisp bean sprouts. Be sure to use fresh, not canned, mung bean sprouts for this. If you are really in a hurry, save time with quick-cooking brown rice, which is done in 15-20 minutes instead of the usual 45.
Top Review by Rita~
Be careful reading the directions #5 going into #6. I expected spicier! If I make agian I would use the product Thai Kitchen Red curry paste! It`s really good! Loved the brown rice. It did need to be baked longer, wasn`t hot enough. And I would have blanched the sprout before adding to the pie! I also would have added fresh squeezed lime to the vegies just before putting into rice crust!
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup crunchy peanut butter, divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons dark sesame oil, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper (or hot sauce to taste)
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 medium red onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 large carrots, julienned or shredded
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup fresh mung bean sprouts
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cooked brown rice (may be done ahead and refrigerated), 1 cup of the mozzarella, 1/4 cup peanut butter and egg in a large bowl.
- Press firmly into a 10-inch pie plate or a 12-inch pizza pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400ºF.
- for 8 minutes.
- Mix remaining 3/4 cup peanut butter, hot water, cilantro, soy sauce, 2 Tbsps.
- sesame oil, and red pepper in a small bowl.
- Set aside.
- Stir-fry broccoli, red onion, carrots and ginger in remaining 1 tablespoons.
- sesame oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until tender crisp (add ginger last to keep from burning).
- If shredded carrots are being used instead of julienned, add the carrots with the ginger.
- Spread the peanut sauce over prebaked rice crust; top with broccoli mixture and scatter crisp bean sprouts evenly; top with remaining 1 cup mozzarella.
- Bake at 400ºF.
- for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.