Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
My DD adapted this recipe from Cooking Light for Mother's Day and it is delicious!
- 6 cups whole milk
- 1⁄3 cup uncooked rice (basmati rice preferred)
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups mangoes, peeled and chopped (about 2 large)
- Combine whole milk and basmati rice in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium, and gently boil 40 minutes or until mixture thickens. (Mixture will be a chowder like consistency.)
- Stir in sweetened condensed milk, cardamom, and salt; cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Spoon 1/2 cup cup rice mixture into each of 8 dessert bowls.
- Top each serving with 1/4 cup chopped mango.
I am a rice pudding lover and this was a very nice version. Recipe worked perfectly and my mango, though tinned, was pretty and refreshing on top. Made for ZWT9.
Excellent recipe! I added raisins in ours and left out the mangoes on top. The cardamom gave it an incredible flavor that I just couldn't get enough of! I served mine with lots of homemade whipped cream and 8 servings became 2 :)
Very nice! The texture is quite different from what we're used to, daughter #1 said that it felt more like semolina pudding than rice pudding in her mouth. The flavor was not too sweet, just like we like our puddings, and also seemed to be something I'd make for breakfast. I didn't have fat free sweetened condensed on hand, so I used regular. Thanks, Jan!