Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
From the Junior League of Washington, DC. Thai rice with no meat, just delightful flavors!
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice, uncooked
- 2 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Chinese chili sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (I usually omit this)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 1 cup tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped finely
- 1⁄2 cup fresh pineapple, diced
- 1⁄3 cup almonds, slivered and toasted
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Saute the gingerroot in the oil in a large skillet until tender. Add the rice, stirring well; cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the broth and the next 8 ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in the tomato, green onions, pineapple, almonds, and lime juice. Serve as soon as these ingredients have warmed up.
I really Loved this rice dish. It has allot of really tasty flavors. I added everything in the recipe except for the raisins, because my daughter doesn't like them. This rice is even good without the tomatoes, pineapple, almonds. A definite keeper. Made it with Mean Guy's General Tso's Chicken also found on this website. Will be eating this yummy rice again for lunch tomorrow. Thank you breezermom for giving us this lovely Thai recipe. Made it for Photo Tag game.
This was good, except the curry powder was overpowering. To fix the dish, I added a bit more coconut milk, 2 tbsp of ketchup, and sugar. After those additions, the dish was AMAZING! I did not add pineapples, for I'm not a big fan.