This is a rice pudding with a twist! This black rice pudding tastes like it has berries in it but it doesn't! Sweet black rice can be found at ethnic or Asian markets and it turns purplish when cooked.
- Place rice in a bowl and rinse with water by stirring in a counter clockwise motion.
- Do this repeatedly until the water is clear and clean, indicating the rice is clean.
- Pick out any odd grains.
- In a medium saucepan, stir rice, salt, sugar and water and bring to a boil.
- Stir well and reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer gently for 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours until all of the water has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Stir in the coconut milk and serve immediately as a hot dish.
- Or chill and serve cold.
This was great! Thank you. My boyfriend wanted me to make something with black rice and he absolutely loves coconut milk so this went over great. I think I'll use less water next time, I ended up straining the rice after more than two hours passed and the rice was more than tender enough.
This turned out very yummy. Thank you so much for posting the recipe. Just wanted to add, I saw that one of the commentators recommended soaking to rid of "dye" because everything turned purple. The purple coloring is the natural color of black rice's husks which are not removed. There's no dye involved. Just wanted to throw that out there. Thanks again.
A great pudding! As someone who needs to avoid most dairy due to an allergy, I was thrilled to find a rice pudding I can actually eat. The fact that I love coconut just makes it even better! I recently discovered black rice and was looking for different ways to enjoy it. This is a very tasty and easy dish, with a wonderful texture. Next time I may try using a lite coconut milk and reducing the sugar a bit, as it was a little sweet for me.