Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 17 mins
I got this recipe from my Aunt. It was in a cookbook called Great American Recipes. These tender brownies are quick to prepare, using ingredients that are handy in the kitchen. This recipe makes a large pan great for a potluck!
- In a large bowl combine the flour and sugar.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine butter, shortening, coffee or water, and cocoa. Stir and heat to boiling.
- Pour boiling mix over the flour and sugar in the bowl. Add the buttermilk, eggs, baking soda and vanilla.
- Mix well , and pour into a well buttered 171/2-by-11-inch jelly roll pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 17 minute Cool, then cut into 48 bars, and enjoy!
These brownies are positively sinful!
I have been making this recipe for years. It came from a free sample card from All American Recipes. They are moist and yummy and at a perfect sweetness. I recommend letting the cake cool for about 20 minutes before pouring the frosting or else the frosting will sizzle on the sides of the pan making it look uneven. For a different taste, I also add about a tsp of coconut extract with the vanilla when adding it to the flour. Enjoy!!